THIS 1950 NASH AMBASSADOR SUPER IS LOCATED IN: PHOENIX, AZ
Ambassador was the model name applied to the senior line of Nash automobiles from 1932 until 1957. From 1958 until the end of the 1965 model year, the Rambler Ambassador, then 1966-1972 as the American Motors Ambassador, then 1973-1974 as AMC Ambassador, were the products of American Motors Corporation (AMC), which continued to use the Ambassador model name on its top-of-the-line models, making it “one of the longest-lived automobile nameplates in automotive history.”
Nash-Kelvinator president George Mason believed in fiscal responsibility, but also wanted to be “a bit daring, bold, and out of the mainstream” by making “cars noticeably different from those of the mainline Big Three producers.” Nash’s Vice President of Engineering, Nils Eric Wahlberg, had access to a wind tunnel during the war and believed that future cars should take advantage of aerodynamics to achieve many benefits. The company used revenue from its wartime contracts to develop a car that was “the most streamlined form on the road” and lower by 6 inches (152 mm) than the previous designs. Mason was also a convert to build a large aerodynamically clean family car for the postwar market and even championed the design’s enclosed wheels as a bold innovative feature. The resulting car reflected aerodynamic notions of its era, with a rear half resembling the 1935 Stout Scarab.
Nash continued to use the Ambassador name on its top models 1949. The separate frame chassis of the 1941-1948 Ambassador was discontinued in favor of unibody construction for the 1949 models, a design the company introduced to the mass-market in 1941 with the 600 series cars. The Ambassador series continued to have a 121 in (3,073 mm) wheelbase and the automaker claimed the new chassis design included 8,000 welds making its “1 1/2 to 2 1/2 times as rigid as conventional cars.”