Brothers Frank D. and Charles D. owned a wood manufacturing business named Fuller Brothers of Kalamazoo. When they decided to build automobiles, they enlisted the help of the Blood brothers, who were talented mechanics and owners of the Kalamazoo Cycle Company. Together they founded the Michigan Automobile Company, Ltd., on December 30th, 1902. Carles Fuller served as chairman, Frank Fuller as general manager and secretary, Charles Blood served as superintendent, and Maurice Blood as treasurer.
The first prototype used a 48-inch wheelbase and was powered by a 3.5-horsepower, 29 cubic-inch, single-cylinder, air-cooled De Dion engine. The production version that followed used a larger, 54-inch platform. The first model was called the Model A and the small runabout listed for approximately $475. Around 100 examples of the Model A were sold by the close of 1904, along with around 30 examples of a new Light Touring Model C, resting on a 78-inch wheelbase and powered by a 2-cylinder, 12-horsepower engine.
The 1905 model year brought a wider range of body styles and wheelbase sizes. The Model C was carried over from the previous year, the single-cylinder Model A was dropped, and the Model D and E joined the lineup. The Model D rested on an 80-inch wheelbase and was equipped with the same two-cylinder engine powering the Model C. It was a Demi-Tonneau that listed for $1,100. The Model E also had a two-cylinder engine but was rated at 16 horsepower. It had a 90-inch wheelbase, listed for $1,250, and wore a side entrance tonneau body.
Like so many early automobile companies, it was not long before different visions for the company soon divided the union. The Bloods left the Fullers near the close of 1904, only to establish a new business across town, building the same car as the Michigan company but under their own name. The Blood’s production was brief, lasting through 1906, turning their talents to the production of universal joints.
In 1908, the Fullers left the automobile production business to follow a similar path as the Bloods, producing automobile components for the rapidly evolving industry. After the formation of the Michigan Motor Car Company, the Fullers changed the name of their firm to Fuller & Sons Manufacturing.